The English History group provide a forum for AWBS members to learn about the rich history and culture of Britain. Each term (autumn and spring) we organise 4 talks and 1 field trip. Our history talks are given by an award-winning lecturer Amanda Bryett who is a registered Blue Badge Guide and experienced professional speaker. Amanda has lectured on subjects as varied as The Hanoverians, the suffragette movement, post-war Britain, but one of her favourite topics is Royalty which we have made our theme on this coming autumn and spring. We meet at the The Fox and Hounds, Bishopsgate Road, Englefield Green, Egham, TW20 0XU, on selected Tuedays. Talks start at 9.45am till 11.45am. The cost is £70.00 for each series which includes the tea, coffee and snack that the The Fox and Hounds provide but not the field trip costs.
The theme for the 2019 -2020 is Royalty. Dates are below:
- 24th September - The royal line of succession going through all the Queens relatives and their place in line and those barred ie Catholic
- 8th October - The royal line of illegitimate children over the centuries and their descendants place in British life today.
- 29th October - Royal Spending - The Sovereign Grant, The Crown Estate History what it owns, how it is administrated, Rangers of Windsor Great Park
- 19th November - Visit to the Crown Estate offices in Windsor Great Park
- 3rd December - Royal Spending continued - The Duchy of Cornwall, The Duchy of Lancaster, The Privy Purse
- 21st January - The Royal Collection - History, how it is funded, where it is shown, treasures owned.
- 11th February - The Royal Collection continued
- 10th March - British Armed Forces History. Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force. Training for officers/non commissioned officers. Household division. Royals as Colonels in Chief.
- 28th April - St Paul's Cathedral History, Wren rebuilding. Military funerals. Modern history
- 12th May - Field trip to St Paul's
Sign ups for the autumn English History will take place at the general meeting on 9 September. The remaining places will be available on line to sign up to after the meeting. Activity Leaders are:
Laura Law: email firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 07788 653196
Oone Rogers email email@example.com Mobile 07597 053496